Book talks and signings: TBA
Friday, May 1: Exhibition Opening
- 5:30 p.m. A dialogue between the co-curators of Underground Classics Denis Kitchen, comix artist, founder of Kitchen Sink Press, and committed comix collector, and Jim Danky, a nationally recognized authority on the alternative press, Room L140 in the Chazen.
- 6:30 p.m. – Reception
- Event open to the public – everyone welcome!
Comix Films at the Cinematheque: Click here for details
Cartooning Classes: “Drawing Concerns/Cartoons on a Mission”
Instructor: Jay Rath, cartoonist and writer
Section I, 4 sessions: Tuesday–Friday June 16–19
Section II, 4 sessions: Tuesday–Friday, July 7–10
2:00 p.m.–4:30 p.m.
- From Superman and Donald Duck during World War II to “The Simpsons” today, cartoons have always reflected social concerns of their age. In fact, artists of all kinds have rendered commentary since ancient times, in painting, sculpture and satirical printmaking. Using the Chazen’s permanent collection as inspiration, writer and cartoonist Jay Rath will help students develop their cartooning skills, and encourage them to address our times in their own comic art.
- Open to students entering grades 9 through 12.
- Pre-registration and a non-refundable materials fee of $5 are required.
- Limit: 15
- Location: Room L170 and galleries Chazen Museum of Art